Health Workers' Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

E-Mail: wwhg@rcpbml.org.uk. To Return to John Buckle Centre: www.johnbucklecentre.org.uk  Because of spambots you must email us for approval to join the forum. PLEASE NOTE KNOWN SPAMMERS WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR MEMBERSHIP

Author Topic: Join our rally to save doomed walk-in centre  (Read 622 times)

roger

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 434
    • View Profile
Join our rally to save doomed walk-in centre
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:41 am »


Join our rally to save doomed walk-in centre
by Verity Ward  South Shields Gazette

published 06:00 Saturday 07 March 2015 


JARROW MP Stephen Hepburn is urging people to join a rally aimed at saving a popular health centre.

Mr Hepburn hopes people will attend a rally to save Jarrow Walk-In Centre on Saturday, March 28, from 11am.

“ It is vitally important that we fight to retain this world-class service in Jarrow.
Stephen Hepburn MP

The event, which has been organised the by South Tyneside Public Service Alliance (PSA), will be held outside Jarrow Town Hall in a bid to save the doomed centre, which sees up to 27,000 patients annually.

The Labour MP said: “It is vitally important that we fight to retain this world-class service in Jarrow.
 
“I hope as many people as possible can come along to show the Government how much we value our NHS.”

The South Tyneside Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) made the decision to close the centre and relocate services to a new urgent care hub at South Tyneside District Hospital in South Shields, last November.

Health bosses have said the hub, which is set to open in October, would see up to Ł2m saved annually.

Anti-closure campaigners feel the people of Jarrow and Hebburn are being left without an adequate service.
Campaigners were dealt with a further blow last week after they were informed Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt would not be carrying out a review into the closure,

The Independent Reconfiguration Panel (IRP) – which assesses all calls for reviews – ruled that the closure plan is not suitable for a full review by Mr Hunt.

It said it is satisfied that, if the six recommendations outlined by the CCG’s consultation are put in place within a suitable timescale, then all parties involved should be “confident that local primary health services capacity in Jarrow and Hebburn is sufficient to mitigate for the change”.

In yesterday’s Gazette, the date of the rally was incorrectly stated as March 21.
Logged

roger

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 434
    • View Profile
Re: Join our rally to save doomed walk-in centre
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:45:28 am »

A CALL has gone out for people in South Tyneside to gather in a bid to save a doomed walk-in centre.

A rally has been organised by the South Tyneside Public Service Alliance (PSA) in protest over plans to close the Jarrow Walk-In Centre.

“ It is vital that we keep the fight to keep the walk-in centre open at the top of the political agenda in the run up to the general election.
Merv Butler, chairman of the South Tyneside Public Service Alliance

The event is set to take place on Saturday, March 28, outside Jarrow Town Hall, at 11am and the town’s MP Stephen Hepburn will be among the speakers.

The South Tyneside Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) made the decision to close the centre and relocate services at the walk-in centre to a new urgent care hub at South Tyneside District Hospital in South Shields, last November.
 
 
Health bosses have said the hub, which is set to open in October, would see up to Ł2m saved annually. Campaigners feel the people of Jarrow and Hebburn are being left without an adequate service as 27,000 people attended the walk-in last year.

Merv Butler, chairman of the PSA, says its vital that people continue their fight to keep the walk-in centre open.

He said: “I am delighted that Mr Hepburn has accepted the PSA’s invitation to speak at the rally.

“Final details of the event and other speakers will be published next week.

 
“It is vital that we keep the fight to keep the walk-in centre open at the top of the political agenda in the run-up to the general election.”

Campaigners were dealt with a further blow last week after they were informed Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt would not be carrying out a review into the closure,

The Independent Reconfiguration Panel (IRP) – which assesses all calls for reviews – ruled that the closure plan is not suitable for a full review by Mr Hunt.

It said it is satisfied that, if the six recommendations outlined by the CCG’s consultation are put in place within a suitable timescale, then all parties involved should be “confident that local primary health services capacity in Jarrow and Hebburn is sufficient to mitigate for the change”.

 
Twitter: @shieldsgazvez
Logged